Ways of Performing Meditation at Home
What is Meditation?
Meditation is the single-point focus aimed at peace of mind and overall calmness. The whole concept of mind meditation is to gain inner peace. Inner peace is to be calm inwardly irrespective of the external situations. Keeping the mind focused on eliminating the negative things and being happy about the positives of life is the central concept of spiritual self-reflection. Erasing the anger felt towards any unhappy incident is to be warded off and discarded. Improving the inner peace levels will eventually lead to advantages of meditating regularly, like happiness in any situation of life. Meditating is essential to relax and calm the thoughts of a person. The many mindfulness meditation techniques mainly involve focusing the mind and channelling the thought process into a single path. The act of self-reflection and concentration while practising regularised and slow breathing helps release the trapped negative energies. It helps to reorient your mental makeup for a particular day, lowers stress, inculcates positivity towards everything, etc. You can feel happy regardless of circumstances and rule out negative feelings.
Benefits of Meditation
The advantages of meditating are numerous. It can help in creating positive views and accomplishing achievable goals. The primary outcome is the development of a peaceful mind, and the outlook on life is transformed into enhanced well-being. The power of focusing is how we can define it in simple terms.
- Inner peace is created within that provides clarity for controlling the mind, no matter the circumstances one is in.
- Any delusions present in the mind are removed, usually the reason for most of the problems faced in life. Spiritual breathing exercises and keeping the mind free of worries help eradicate delusions.
- Lowering stress or anxious feelings are experienced as a direct effect of deep breathing and self-introspecting.
- Those who meditate also experience better sleep patterns, which improve their overall health.
- It helps in maintaining joy even in bad circumstances.
- A mental equilibrium balances the mind, primarily when meditation music is used while meditating. It leads to constant happiness, and this state is different from the otherwise confused mind, which travels back and forth from despair to extreme glee.
- The mind tends to attain a higher sense of peace, leading to clarity and happiness.
The short-term meditation benefits are experienced as well, they are given below:
- Optimum and relaxed heart rate.
- Lower anxiety.
- Better circulation of blood.
- Balanced or normal blood pressure.
- Slow respiratory rates.
- Lower stress.
- A renewed sense of well-being.
- Improved relaxation ability.
Types of Meditation that You Can perform at Home
Whether it is sleep meditation or any other form, there are specific criteria to follow for effective and controlled breathing. The primary task is to choose a beneficial meditation type. You must perform breathing exercises with your eyes closed; consistency and control are essential factors in attaining meditation benefits. Some types that you may perform at home are listed below.
1. Body scan
It is also known as progressive relaxation and is performed to control stress and promote peace. It focuses on reconnecting to the physical form of the body. It is important to note any sensations being felt. Although relaxing, it does not emphasise relaxation but is a way to strengthen the connection between the body and the mind. A progressive body scan is experienced from the head to the toes. Specific tools enable the body to relax whilst simultaneously soothing the nervous system. Some areas in the body that you may use to hold tension are focused and exercised.
2. Immersed attention
Such a type of meditation for beginners is focused on any particular aspect of life like emanating sounds from nature, candle burning, breathing in and breathing out, noticeable body processes like the heartbeat, etc. ‘Om’ chanting meditation, counting beads, etc., are some more extensions of this type of meditation. Extreme attention to one idea reveals how much the mind can control and take over. The thought process can continue for a long time, with periods of wandering onto other aspects. The important part is to bring the thoughts back to the original idea or the concept. However, the mind can drift away. It is how meditation for beginners is taught and is also called concentration meditation. Even though beginners may find it challenging and focus for just a few minutes, the critical part is to repeat the process by redirecting the mind back as often as possible. The ability to meditate is improved with time and practice.
3. Loving gentleness
It is a way of having compassion for others and oneself. It shows and relates how the people in our lives are interconnected. The heart is drawn to what people mean to one another, and we cannot do without each other’s presence. Loving meditation quotes in English or other languages are chanted repeatedly as positive vibes are relayed to people.
4. Guided meditation
It involves listening to calming audio that motivates you to think a particular train of thoughts on a specific subject. The gentle voice is soothing to the mind and makes you aware of certain things you might not have thought of before. It is one of the best meditations for performing at home. There are guided audios to meditate available online easily that may be downloaded and used for those who have trouble sleeping. It is a meditation for anxiety, as it relaxes the thinking process and changes what is repeated in the audio. Whether it has to be a morning meditation or a sleeping, it is entirely up to the person to find solace in preferred audio.
5. Anapana Meditation
The word ‘Anapana’ points to the inhaling and exhaling process during breathing. ‘Anapanasati meditation’ is translated as ‘mindfulness of breathing’ and it focuses on the breathing process.
How to Perform Meditation at Home?
- Spot: Finding the right spot away from distractions is vital for concentration and meditation. Whether one uses a meditation chair or rug, placing it wherever the highest focus is possible is essential. The garden, balcony, bed, terrace, etc., are a few meditation spots.
- Reminder: regularity is essential to inculcate the habit of meditating. Setting the alarm on the smartphone is one way of reminding oneself of the meditation hour.
- Start small: Shorter meditating sessions are ideal forms of meditation for beginners. Not everybody has the same focusing power to concentrate for long durations, so it is vital to start small.
- Soothing music: It is helpful in relaxation and improving focus during meditation. Soothing meditation music is influential in holding concentration for long periods.
- Varieties of meditations: Trying the different types of breathing exercises helps to select any suitable one that helps you relax.
Meditate and Perform Poses
Sit down in a meditation pose or lie down, whichever is comfortable. Close the eyes and use an eye mask if required. Start breathing in and out with a focus on how the inhalation and exhalation occur. Bring the mind back to the breathing cycles whenever the mind wanders about. You may use a guided meditating technique like meditating to soothing or ambient music or sleeping and other meditating tools if required.
Yoga and Meditation
Yoga is a kind of spiritual meditation which that ensures harmony between the physical body and a person’s mind. The father of yoga is Patanjali, who started many yoga sutras in modern yoga. Breath control, Om chanting meditation whilst maintaining certain bodily postures are performed simultaneously in one discipline.
Surya namaskar yoga is a form of bowing down to the sun in gratitude. The ‘asana’ or exercise in yoga is a sequence of 12 different poses that are to be performed at a stretch. Surya namaskar benefits the body by strengthening the muscles and joints, improving digestive functioning, enhancing the complexion, helping in weight loss, decreasing anxiety, regularizing the menstrual cycle, etc.
With the Emoha app, you get access to 24/7 emergency support, for non-medical & medical emergencies alike that can be availed from any place in India within seconds. You also get exclusive benefits like travel booking assistance, special discounts on travel & medicines, a helpdesk for daily support, and much more. You can also read exclusively tailored blogs for seniors on a number of topics ranging from health to wellbeing to entertainment; download the app from Google Playstore or iOS App Store.
Seniors who are often anxious can benefit from the many types of poses and breathing techniques. Whether it is transcendental or morning introspection, it is crucial to try out the different kinds and find the meditation’s meaning by experiencing the many benefits of self-reflection through meditated breathing. You can learn to focus the thought process on a single point and luxuriate in it for however long as you can; this is a crucial performance concept in meditation. Focusing on breathing is one of the meditation techniques for beginners.
What is yoga?
Yoga is a type of meditation performed along with holding poses as an exercise form that helps relax your mind and body. It improves the focusing power simultaneously with the physical benefits of being fit.
What kind of yoga is Surya namaskar?
It is a kind of ‘Hatha yoga’ that is to be performed slowly by holding the 12 different asanas for as long as possible.
What are the different types of breathing exercises?
There are mindfulness, concentration, sleep, guided, body scan, immersed attention, Surya namaskar, loving gentleness, breathing exercises, etc., are different breathing exercises that you may perform.