“Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince & dinner like a pauper.” – Adele Davis, Nutritionist
This popular saying implies that breakfast is the single most important meal of the day. This certainly holds true since the nutritional input in breakfast decides the course of energy for the entire following day. As we age, we tend to forget that a nourishing breakfast is as important for seniors as for any young working professional. However, old age often comes with problems like poor dental health and digestive issues, therefore it becomes trivial for the first meal of the day to be easily chewable and digestible. Considering the unique requirements of seniors, we have compiled a list of healthy breakfast ideas that are easy to make and chew, nutritious and yet tasty.
Easy-to-Swallow Healthy Breakfast items for Seniors
- Raagi Upma – Raagi is one of the most nutrition-powered cereals, which has traditionally been consumed in India for ages. Raagi Upma is made similar to Suji Upma except that Raagi needs to be soaked in water for half an hour before being used. Upma is not only a rich source of iron, fibres, and protein but also keeps you full for a longer time.
- Vegetable Idli – This is similar to regular Rava idli except that seasonal vegetables are added to it to make it more nutritious and wholesome. This is an easily digestible breakfast that can be made with minimal effort.
- Pancakes – Pancakes are soft to chew and are a good choice for those who have a sweet tooth. It can easily be made from scratch, at home, with eggs, milk, butter and flour. Avoid using maida or refined flour. Instead, use flours of Jowar, Bajra, or Quinoa as well.
- Besan Paranthas or Besan Cheela – Paranthas are a popular breakfast among a large section of Indians. Among different varieties of Paranthas, Besan Parantha is one of the healthiest, which is easy to chew and is readily digestible. You can also add green leafy vegetables to it to enhance the nutritional status of your Parantha. Instead of making it into a dough, one can even prepare a runny batter, like for dosa, and prepare cheela for variation.
- Uttapam – It is a vegetable-packed breakfast item that is easy to digest and fills your stomach quite effectively. Opt for homemade curd/lassi in the batter along with fresh seasonal vegetables.
While some seniors may want softer food items in breakfast, many might have different expectations from their meals. These days, obesity is a growing challenge in post-retirement life. Many cannot do the needful amount of physical activities due to several factors, however, one can surely eat wisely and choose suitable options, which may aid in weight loss or weight sustenance at least. Here is a list of some breakfast items useful for weight loss.
Breakfast for Weight Loss for Seniors
- Sprouts – Sprouts are one of the most nourishing food items. These can be consumed daily as breakfast. You can add a little lemon juice and black pepper to enhance the taste. Refrain from frying or boiling sprouts as it may lead to loss of essential nutrients.
- Broccoli Salad – Broccoli salad is an easy-to-cook breakfast item that is very advantageous for those determined to lose weight. You can add Paneer, seasonal vegetables like carrot or nuts and flax seeds to make it more nutritious & filling.
- Moong Dal Cheela – It is a protein-rich breakfast option that you can include in your diet, every alternate day. Eat with chutneys to make it tastier.
- Vegetable Dalia – Replacing Rotis with vegetable Dalia is a great option, especially when trying to lose weight. It is low in fats, heavy in nutrition and helps in weight management.
- Egg Bhurji – If you are looking for a breakfast item low in fats and sugar yet rich in protein, Egg Bhurji is the way to go. It is easy to cook and is a wholesome meal by itself.
- Poha – Poha is an easy-to-digest, light, and nutrition-rich breakfast item that is good for overweight seniors. You can add seasonal vegetables in Poha to increase the nutritional value of the food item.
Read Also : Weight Loss Exercises for Seniors
Along with the aforementioned breakfast items, there are many other options that seniors can add to their breakfast like fresh seasonal fruits, smoothies, and overnight soaked nuts. If consumed regularly, these can help lose weight without impacting the overall health.
Breakfast is important, not only for a great kickstart to the day, but also for continuous energy throughout the day. Add variety and break the monotony of often repeated breakfast items. Ours is a country of diversity. Make use of the diverse culinary traditions available in India, to add new healthy and tasty breakfast items to your plate. In the age of the internet, you can go global as well. The choice is always yours but choose wisely.
|Best Foods that help control blood sugar levels||Balanced Diet Chart Plan for Elderly People|
|Best Immunity Boosting Foods For Seniors||Ten Foods to Keep You Healthy|
|Foods for Instant Stress Relief||Healthy Food for Healthy Skin|
Frequently Asked Questions
Elders should consider their body requirements and health while deciding on breakfast. Easy-to-digest and fibrous grains should be preferred over refined, processed, and packaged food items.
There are not one but many food items considered healthy. Fresh, seasonal, and less processed items are especially beneficial for the health of seniors.
Eggs are packed with various nutrients. They are easy to cook and chew, thus making them an ideal breakfast item for seniors.