Simple Home Remedies for Indigestion
Modern lifestyles with long work hours, late nights, and fast food wreak havoc on the digestive system. Most people, at one time or another, complain of indigestion. Even healthy eaters sometimes suffer from bloating or gas. Even your favourite food can make your day uncomfortable. Sometimes, eating too fast or too much can result in uncomfortable bloating or a burning sensation in the stomach. The difficulty can be triggered by anything from spicy food to a food allergy, a compromised digestive system, or improper eating habits. However, it is not a disease but a symptom of underlying gastrointestinal disorders such as gastritis, ulcers, or acid reflux. When feeling bloated or having acid reflux, most people reach for OTC medicines. You can quickly cure the problem with simple ingredients readily available in your kitchen. Read ahead for some fantastic natural remedies that will work wonders for you.
Symptoms of Indigestion
- Acid reflux
- Abdominal pain
- Feelings of fullness
- Bad breath
- A burning sensation in the stomach
Home Remedies for Indigestion
These days, most people look for ways to quickly cure indigestion with over-the-counter medicines. However, taking too many medications is also not good for your body. So, it’s better to look for a home remedy for indigestion than use over-the-counter medicine. Your kitchen is full of ingredients, as mentioned below, that can quickly cure indigestion.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is known for curing or improving many health conditions, from skin conditions to weight loss. Adding apple cider vinegar can help balance stomach acids to appropriate working levels. Apple cider vinegar triggers stomach acid production. For people wondering how to cure indigestion fast, apple cider vinegar is a wonder. Add one or two tablespoons of raw and unpasteurised apple cider vinegar to a little water and drink it. You can drink this mixture for a few days every morning to stop the problem if you suffer regularly. Remember to not drink it in excess or undiluted.
- Ginger: Ginger is found in every home. This natural remedy works by reducing excessive stomach acid. You can minimise the difficulty by drinking ginger tea, ginger ale, or ginger water. Even ginger candy is available in the market and works on this problem. To make ginger tea, boil a bit of grated or mashed ginger root with water for a few minutes. Then pour into a cup and add lemon juice or raw honey before drinking. You can also chew on ginger slivers after meals to promote good digestion. Ginger is also known to quell nausea. So, it is one of the best home remedies for indigestion and vomiting.
- Lemon Water: Lemon is rich in vitamin C and has alkaline properties. So, lemon water neutralises stomach acid and helps with indigestion cure. You can take one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in warm or hot water as per your preference and drink it a few minutes before your meal. For constant problems, drink this concoction on an empty stomach every morning, as it will improve your digestion and reduce the issue.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda, or Sodium Bicarbonate, is an effective home remedy for indigestion and gas. It quickly neutralises stomach acid to relieve difficulty in digestion, gas, or bloating. Just add half a teaspoon of baking soda to half a glass of warm water and drink it for quick relief.
- Fennel seeds: Most Indian families have the habit of chewing fennel seeds after meals to aid digestion. Fennel seeds are antispasmodic. Hence, they are a good remedy for indigestion and burping. Apart from providing relief, fennel seeds also help in soothing other gastrointestinal disorders such as nausea, stomach cramping, and bloating. So, it is the best medicine for indigestion and bloating at home. You can chew fennel seeds after dinner or make a concoction of them. To make fennel seed tea, boil half a teaspoon of fennel seeds in water for a few minutes. Then strain the mixture and drink it.
- Carom Seeds: Carom seeds, or Ajwain, are a popular Ayurvedic remedy for indigestion. It is used in cooking to help with digestion. After a heavy dinner, many people wonder how to get rid of indigestion at night. For those times, carom seeds are beneficial. You can boil Carom seeds in water for a few minutes and drink the concoction after straining them. Or add carom seed powder to water and drink it. Or just chew carom seeds after your meal.
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea is known for calming anxiety and inducing sleep. It is also helpful in providing relief. It reduces stomach acid, and its anti-inflammatory nature stops stomach pain. Add chamomile tea bags in hot water, add raw honey if desired, and drink the tea for the issue.
- Peppermint Tea: Peppermint is not just a breath freshener, but an excellent remedy for stomach problems. Drinking peppermint tea after meals is helpful in soothing the problem. Another way is to suck on peppermint candy after meals. Do remember not to consume peppermint tea when the issue is related to acid reflux.
With the Emoha app, you get access to 24/7 emergency support for non-medical and medical emergencies that can be availed from any place in India within seconds. You also get exclusive benefits like travel booking assistance, special discounts on travel and medicine, a helpdesk for daily support, and much more. You can also read exclusively tailored blogs for seniors on several topics, ranging from health to well-being to entertainment. Download the app from the Google Playstore or the iOS App Store.
Indigestion is a common concern these days. These simple home remedies given above can give quick relief. Remember to eat healthily and lead an active lifestyle to avoid frequent digestion issues.
Many home remedies, such as fennel seeds, carom seeds, or baking soda, help relieve indigestion immediately.
To treat indigestion at home, you can drink apple cider vinegar, lemon water, chamomile tea, or ginger tea.
For curing indigestion, drinking lemon water, fennel tea, ginger tea, or baking soda in water is helpful.
No, milk is not helpful for indigestion.
Drinking water frequently makes your digestion process better.