Simple and Effective Natural Home Remedies for Pneumonia
Pneumonia is a respiratory infection that affects the lungs. When a person suffers from pneumonia, the lung alveoli fill with pus and fluid. It is hard for the person to breathe, which limits oxygen intake. Pneumonia is an illness that requires it to be addressed without delay. When mild, it affects your day-to-day activities. Home remedies for pneumonia help boost the treatment with conventional medicine.
Home remedies for pneumonia in humans
- Gargling with salted warm water can help soothe the throat and throw out some of the mucus.
- Drinking peppermint tea can also help relieve the throat and expel mucus.
- Drinking a warm cup of coffee helps to ease the breath.
Depending on the causes of pneumonia, your physician will prescribe drugs to cure the infection. During healing, it is recommended to rest, eat nutritious foods, and drink lots of water. Some natural remedies can help a person get rid of the pneumonia symptoms and boost recovery.
Can you be treated for pneumonia at home?
Mild cases of pneumonia can usually be treated at home with adequate rest, plenty of fluid intakes, and a bunch of home remedies, along with antibiotics and other medications prescribed by a doctor. However, in severe cases, the patient may need hospital treatment.
Home remedies for cough caused by pneumonia
When the lungs produce excess mucus, the body tries to flush out this phlegm from the lungs by coughing. However, some helpful home remedies for the cure are listed below:
1. Peppermint, fenugreek tea, and eucalyptus
- Comforting herbal teas can help calm a sore throat, but herbs can be even more beneficial. These herbs help break down phlegm and reduce inflammation and pain caused by pneumonia.
- Tea made from ground fenugreek seeds can relieve stubborn coughs.
- Tea tree oil and eucalyptus can also help relieve coughs. People can use these in diffusers.
2. Gargle with salt water
A buildup of mucus in the throat and chest increase coughing and irritation. Gargling with warm salt water aids in removing mucus and bacteria from the throat and may relieve symptoms.
What can help treat pneumonia?
- Turmeric; In South Asia, this golden spice has been used for centuries to treat respiratory problems, pain, and fatigue. Try it with food, supplements, or turmeric tea to see if it helps you. Also, check with your doctor to ensure your medicines are not affected.
- Staying hydrated: Even when healthy, you need plenty of water to stay hydrated. But it is essential if you have pneumonia because it helps loosen mucus in your lungs. This way, you can remove it when you cough. Your best options are sips of warm water, hot tea, and hot soups. However, caffeine and alcohol should be strictly avoided, as these substances can dehydrate you.
Is ginger good for pneumonia?
Recent studies have shown ginger to have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. As with turmeric, current research on ginger has not examined whether it helps explicitly with chest pain, but it is a harmless, hydrating way to alleviate the unpleasant effects of pneumonia. You can find bulk or packaged ginger tea at your local grocery store or online, or make your own ginger tea using fresh ginger.
What is the treatment and prevention of pneumonia?
You may suffer from pneumonia caused by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. It can be prevented by vaccination, proper nutrition, and coping with environmental factors. Bacterial pneumonia can be treated with antibiotics, and doctors prescribe anti-fungal medicines as well. However, home remedies play a significant role in speeding up the healing process.
- What foods cure pneumonia?
A high-protein diet is beneficial for patients with pneumonia. Foods such as nuts, seeds, beans, white meat, and cold-water fish such as salmon and sardines have anti-inflammatory properties. It also repairs damaged tissue and builds new tissues in the body.
- Taking care of fever during pneumonia
Fever may occur suddenly or over several days while one suffers from pneumonia. With treatment, it subsides within a week.
- Over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers such as ibuprofen (Advil), as per the advice of a medical practitioner, can help reduce fever and relieve pain. If possible, take pain relievers with food or on a full stomach. This can reduce the risk of side effects such as nausea.
- Drink fenugreek tea – A 2018 study found that drinking fenugreek tea could induce sweating. Sweat cools the body, which helps reduce fever.
- Hydration – Drinking enough fluids and electrolytes when you have a fever can help prevent dehydration.
- A lukewarm bath or a lukewarm compress – You can lower your body temperature by soaking yourself in a lukewarm bath. If you don’t like taking a bath, you can use lukewarm water to cool your body from the outside. Warm water provides a more gradual and comfortable temperature change.
Homoeopathic remedies for pneumonia
Homoeopathy is one of the most popular holistic medical systems. These are the following homoeopathic remedies to help treat pneumonia.
- Ferrum phosphoricum
- Veratrum viride
- Blatta orientalis
- Kali muriaticum
- Antimonium tartaricum
- Hepar sulph
- Carbo animalis
With the Emoha app, you get access to 24/7 emergency support for non-medical and medical emergencies that can be availed from any place in India within seconds. You also get exclusive benefits like travel booking assistance, special discounts on travel and medicine, a helpdesk for daily support, and much more. You can also read exclusively tailored blogs for seniors on several topics, ranging from health to well-being to entertainment. Download the app from the Google Playstore or the iOS App Store.
Pneumonia is not incurable. You can treat pneumonia at an early stage just by identifying the symptoms. You can follow the above-mentioned remedies and get a lasting cure. We hope the above blog will help you have a happy and healthy life.
To cure pneumonia, drink warm liquids, take a steam bath, and use a humidifier to open your airways and make breathing easier.
Moisture thins mucus and helps keep the heat down. So using a humidifier might help in fast recovery. Get enough rest as well.
Include lots of fluids in your diet to help loosen the mucus. Quick steamy baths and humidifiers with the right humidity level also help.
Mild cases of pneumonia may resolve on their own if the symptoms are treated and the person gets enough rest.
Massaging Vicks VapoRub on the soles of the feet helps with a severe cough that signals pneumonia.