Looking for simple breakfast recipes for seniors? You are at the right place. This post enlists easy breakfast ideas that the elderly are sure to savour. But before we get to the recipes, let us understand why a well-balanced diet is extremely important for senior people.
Understanding the importance of healthy eating
Eating a well-balanced diet has always been the key to leading a healthy life and it becomes even more crucial as we age.
Ageing doesn’t just bring psychological changes but biological ones as well. It means the body’s immunity as compared to young or middle-aged adults, tends to decrease, making seniors more vulnerable to infections and diseases. For the elderly to stay in the pink of health, it is important that they have a nutritious diet and maintain a healthy body weight, which they can achieve through healthy eating.
If you are an older adult or caregiver, you need to understand how crucial it is for seniors to eat healthy and nutritious food. Neglecting the importance of eating healthy may put seniors at risk of malnutrition, which might make them underweight or overweight. Neither of these conditions is ideal for health as it may not only restrict mobility by weakening the muscle and bone strength but also make them susceptible to various diseases. Therefore, in no scenario can you deny the importance of having healthy food. Not only does it reduce the risk of developing chronic health conditions but also helps the elderly to stay energised and healthy.
When it comes to healthy eating, breakfast is a meal that kick-starts your day, and thus it needs to be well-balanced in terms of nutrition. Now, let us take a glance at some easy breakfast recipes for seniors to help them lead a healthy and happy life.
1. Oatmeal with dry fruits
This is among the healthy breakfast ideas for the elderly which is extremely easy to make. Oatmeal is one of the best options for breakfast. The best thing about oatmeal is that it is highly adaptable.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
• Oats – 1 serving (40 grams)
• Almonds (optional) – 5-10, soaked overnight and peeled
• Banana – 1, ripe, chopped
• Flaxseeds – 1 teaspoon
• Raisins (optional) – 10-15, soaked for 30 minutes
• Toned milk
• Just add oats and milk in a pan and cook it on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes until the oats become soft or simply microwave the mix on high for 2 minutes.
• Leave it for 2-3 minutes and mix all the toppings in a bowl
• Oatmeal is ready to eat
Of the several quick breakfast ideas that you are bound to come across, oatmeal is loaded with many vital nutrients such as complex carbs, healthy fats, protein, fibre, zinc, magnesium, calcium, and iron.
2. Spinach Omelette
If you are looking for simple breakfast recipes for the elderly, eggs are your best friend and when you combine it with spinach, it makes for a healthy breakfast option for older adults that is highly nutritious and tastes good as well.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
• Spinach – ¼ cup, finely chopped
• Eggs – 2
• A pinch of black pepper powder
• Salt to taste
• Put on a non-stick pan on a low to medium flame and add spinach to it with a pinch of salt to sauté it until it wilts.
• Take a bowl and break the eggs into it. Whisk the eggs well with 2 table spoon-full of milk and a pinch of pepper powder and salt to taste.
• Spread the spinach evenly in the pan and pour the eggs.
• Cook until the eggs set and then flip using a spatula.
• Cook well from both sides.
• Spinach omelette is ready to serve.
Spinach omelette, being one of the simple breakfast recipes, is a well-balanced meal that is loaded with protein and iron in rich quantities along with other nutrients like healthy carbs, fats, zinc, iron, magnesium.
3. Ragi Upma
When it comes to easy breakfast recipes, Ragi Upma is pretty well-balanced in terms of nutrition. It is easy to chew and can be prepared in a few minutes.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
• Ragi flour – ½ cup
• Cooking oil – 1 teaspoon
• Semolina (sooji) – ¼ cup
• Green chilli – 1 or 2 finely chopped
• Onion – ¼ finely chopped
• Curry leaves – 2 or 3
• Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
• Carrots – ¼ cup, finely chopped
• Coriander leaves – ¼ cup, finely chopped
• A pinch of Asafoetida (heeng)
• Salt to taste
A staple recommendation in easy vegan breakfast recipes, Ragi upma is good for everyone, simple to prepare and thus worth including on your list of easy breakfast ideas. Now, let us check out the steps:
• Put on a non-stick pan on the gas stove on a medium flame and dry roast semolina and ragi flour for a few minutes until they turn light brown in colour. Once done, keep the mix aside.
• Heat the oil in a non-stick pan on a medium flame and then add the mustard seeds.
• On the sound of sputtering, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, chopped onions, and green chilli and sauté for 1 minute.
• Add the chopped carrots and again sauté the mix for 1 minute.
• Add the roasted ragi-semolina mix and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
• Add salt to taste and sauté for a few seconds.
• Now add 2 cups of hot water and cook the mixture on a low flame until the water evaporates (2-3 minutes). Make sure to stir the mixture continuously to maintain a uniform texture.
• Add the chopped coriander leaves cover the mixture and leave it for 2-3 minutes.
• The delicious Ragi Upma is ready. You could add 3-4 chopped cashewnuts as topping too.
This healthy breakfast for the elderly is a good mix of complex carbs, dietary fibre, protein, fat, and sodium. Besides, it contains zero cholesterol.
Other than following these easy and healthy breakfast recipes, including some light physical activities would help seniors maintain strength and mobility.
The information provided in these easy breakfast recipes is to give you a direction. The quantity and choice of ingredients can be altered as per the preferences of the elderly. For instance, in the spinach omelette, you can remove the yolks if seniors have the issue of cholesterol.
For seniors with an eating disorder like anorexia, they need to get their condition assessed and then follow the prescribed anorexia care plan. You can always rope in Emoha where we offer a number of elder care services to enhance the overall quality of life for older adults. For us, it is always #EldersFirst