Nursing Homes for Senior Parents: Advantages and Disadvantages
Sadly, a lot of individuals may need to make the difficult choice of whether to place a loved one in a nursing facility. If you must make a decision, take into account the following advantages and disadvantages of nursing home care for the elderly.
Advantages of senior parents’ nursing home
- Expert medical treatment and 24-hour care can be provided by trained staff.
- Nursing homes usually have dieticians and nutritionists to maintain the right balance of nutrition for optimum senior health.
- A sense of community and social activities are frequently offered to patients by facilities.
- Medicare offers evaluation reports on nursing homes, so you may be confident your loved one is residing in a secure nursing facility.
- Using a nursing home will reduce the responsibility placed on family members who might not have the time or means to look for their family members.
Nursing homes have several benefits, which can be listed in great detail. If you choose the correct facility, your loved ones will have access to professionals with extensive training in everything from nutrition to general healthcare. Being surrounded by friends of your age who live in a nursing home can help you socialise more easily.
Disadvantages of Nursing Homes
- There is a chance for poor standards and poor care. You must be careful where you leave your loved one in a nursing home, even if most of them offer superior services. Nursing facilities reportedly have insufficient staffs, which raises the risk of accidents.
- Depending on a person’s health, a nursing home might intensify feelings of loneliness and isolation, particularly in patients with dementia.
- Nursing homes are costly, as the cost of ongoing treatment is beyond many people’s means.
- If a care facility is not close to your house, you might have to drive a great distance to visit your loved one.
There are benefits to nursing homes for the elderly, but some of the drawbacks can be rather extensive. Starting with the fact that nursing homes are typically the most expensive type of long-term care, it can be unaffordable. While prices vary by region, you should expect to pay more than ₹1, 00,000 yearly in many areas.
Any person may find it challenging to go through a significant transformation. A person’s life can be deeply impacted by even small changes in routine, such as when they eat. Additionally, it might occasionally be depressing to live in a nursing home. Seniors may reasonably object to entering a setting that makes them feel like they are nearing the end of their lives.
Nursing homes can provide less independence—even in basic scheduling – which might worsen this situation. The capacity to see family or friends may be impacted by transferring to a nursing home, despite being in a setting that can encourage sociability. Additionally, there may be a higher chance of experiencing substandard treatment conditions if you are cost-conscious.
While it seems you have no choice but to provide a relative with full-time care or place them in a nursing home, there may be other solutions. Depending on your loved one’s medical conditions, you might be able to buy mobility equipment that will boost your loved one’s freedom and enable them to age in place.
With the Emoha app, you get access to 24/7 emergency support for non-medical and medical emergencies that can be availed from any place in India within seconds. You also get exclusive benefits like travel booking assistance, special discounts on travel and medicine, a helpdesk for daily support, and much more. You can also read exclusively tailored blogs for seniors on several topics, ranging from health to well-being to entertainment. Download the app from the Google Playstore or the iOS App Store.
– The staff’s slowness in responding to residents’ requests
– The standard of meals and foods provided in nursing homes
– Nurses and caregivers frequently lack the opportunity to contact residents for an extended period.
Even with the simultaneous adjustment for both cognitive and noncognitive indices of dementia severity at the time of nursing home stay, the nursing home-related increase in cognitive decline was still apparent.
– Maintaining personal hygiene is more difficult
– Sleep and eating patterns have changed
– Conditions are getting worse
Speak to others and take in their words of encouragement and reassurance. You could also find it helpful to speak with a mental health expert if the bad and guilty feelings persist.